{BHG Simple Six Pocket Bag}

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Did you know Better Homes & Gardens online offers FREE sewing patterns? Well, instructions, really. But instructions with pictures.

I tried their Simple Six Pocket Bag pattern for my Mom. I've made her a couple of bags, and she always gushes way more than she should over them. But I love her gushing, so I made her another one. Happy Mother's Day, Mom, it's in the mail! (I also cannot keep gifts secret-I'm hopeless that way. oh well.)



The instructions we're very easy, as the bag's name implies, although the finished bag was smaller than I expected from the photo on BHG. They did list the finished dimensions though, so really that is my problem, and now that I've done this one, I can easily adjust the pattern to make a larger one next time. And I'm sure I will make more this way.



I'm going to try and not post my mother-in-laws gift until AFTER Mother's Day. Are you making anything special for the moms in your life? (or yourself, like I did when I made this last week?)


17 Creative People Had This To Say:

Kara said...

I love that bag, it is sooo adorable! Would it be bad to make one for myself for Mother's Day?

Cheri-Beri said...

Very, very dangerous information for me to have. Free patterns?? I'll be so sickly white from sewing all summer and it'll be your fault ;-)

Sincerely Yours said...

Morning Kristen! My first visit and so glad I stopped in from Judy's Gracious Southern Living! I never would have looked for a sewing pattern of BHG! Thanks for that. I must try this; I have lots of leftover material to get rid of!!lol Very pretty colors you used! Well I must explore the rest of your blog so Have a Fun Week/weekend! Sincerely, Jeannette

Buffie said...

Thanks for this tip. I'm just getting back into sewing (have a class tonight even) so I'm very glad to find a resource for free instructions.

girlsinwhitedresses said...

I certainly didn't know that - thank you so much! You did a wonderful job on the bag, by the way.

Jessica said...

Thanks for the free pattern info. And that bag idea for Mother's Day sounds like a good one!!

Sarah Mae said...

That is AWESOME! I love it, want to make it! I had no idea about the free patterns - thank you for passing on the tid bit! :)

Songbirdtiff said...

This is adorable. I bookmarked the link, I think I'll make one for my mom-in-laws Christmas gift. Thank you!

Leanne said...

Beautiful bag and thank you for this great tip.

Rachel said...

Hey Kris! I'd gush too if I was your mom :) Very pretty bag. I really like you're pairing of patterns.

Hoosier Homemade said...

I saw that bag in my email from BHG. Great work! I think I will give it a try.
Thanks for sharing!
~Liz

Amanda @ Mommy's Idea Book said...

Thanks for the link to this great bag. I've been planning on making one but had not taken the time to look for a pattern yet.

This looks like what I'm looking for. I bookmarked so I won't forget where to find it. I can't wait to try it.

Bahama Shores Mama said...

another item to add to my to do list.........thanks!

Carey-Life in the Carpool Lane said...

Sew cute! (Pun intended.) I love the fabrics you chose...

Leaning on Him said...

ditto (cause I can't think of anything that hasn't been said already)! :>)

Joye @ The Joyeful Journey said...

I LOVE this bag, Kristen! Love it! I recently just taught myself how to sew and I am addicted (but I don't ever get to sew right now--I just don't have TIME!!) I have some great vintage patterns that I can't wait to put together, though. I really just have to make the time...

Oh, and I'm following you--I am looking forward to getting to know you!

Tanya said...

Nice fabrics! I'll have to give that pattern a try!