How it pays to have skillz...kids' chair pockets

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Confession:  I truly believe I can do anything.

Really, I know it is so vain of me to say but apart from making it to the Olympics for a sport other than curling, I really think if I try hard enough, I can do anything.  Thanks, Mom & Dad.

It is this belief that leads to my benefit.  But it also leads to my demise at times.  And more often than I remember, it is to my own frustration.

About a month ago, I came across a blog post how-to that I just had-to.  I read it several times and came to the above conclusion: I can do anything.  Including this woodworking project.

I went to Lowes with my little list and borrowed my father in law's miter box.  Why don't I just buy my own?  I re-opened the blog post tutorial and thought I could finish this little project before Mr. Smarty even got home.

Nope.  I was wrong.

I even emailed the blogger who wrote the how-to and asked him again, exactly how-to.  Then later decided to prop the wood up against an out of the way wall in the garage and wait until I figured something out.

This week, I figured something out.  Actually, I can't take credit for it, but I will anyway.


A friend of mine needed 20 chair pockets made for her daughter's classroom.  She said she would pay me.  I said no.  She said she would buy me a gift card.  I said no.   Then I remembered that she's married to a woodworking genius.  And then I remembered my out of the way project just sitting in my garage.

I've never sewn so fast or so cheerfully.


I'll finish up the last of them and hopefully make the trade this week (you'll have to wait for that post).  

Do you trade skills?  I'll also consider taking on homeschooling students for cooking or cleaning services, too.  Let me know,

Photobucket

4 Creative People Had This To Say:

Empty Nest Full Life said...

Great little pockets, and can't wait to see how the trade comes out. Sounds like a wonderful idea to me. Jackie

rebecca @ older and wisor said...

I've got a miter saw if you ever want to play...

p.s I believe I can do anything too. Except for sew. Or run fast. Or cook anything that all five children will eat without complaint.

Mrs. Bianca said...

I trade in services all the time! :) Great pockets too! I also admire your confidence.

Aimee said...

I'm usually a bad trader, but recently I traded doula services for professional photography. Does that count? I'm way not crafty enough to do anything other than that!!!