Stuff and stuff

Friday, January 6, 2012

First, Happy New Years (and did I wish you a Merry Christmas?) and Melkam Genna (today is Ethiopian Christmas)

It's been a while, and I admit I enjoyed the break from technology a bit...but here's what I've been up to:

Working on a 1600 Quilt Race with Belle, whose Christmas present was a sewing machine of her own.  (More on that next week?)

Reading The Hunger Games.  thus, delaying our official start of school.  although we're doing a little.  don't worry.

Watching the last season of Friday Night Lights with hubby on Netflix but we're being responsible.  not like this.

Learning about essential oils...my cousin is sending me a few oils to try.  I have a migraine today and wished the peppermint oil was already here.  Instead I rubbed Vicks all over my neck and temples, it helped for a moment, but you know for a migraine there's nothing like a dark room and a bed.  Do you have any uses for essential oils?  Our public library has zero books on the subject.  sad.

Praying for my mom.  She is recovering from hip surgery again yesterday.

Savoring my Christmas gifts.  I feel like I exchanged very few gifts this year (relatively, to past years) yet I received such sweet and thoughtful gifts-like a Norman Rockwell print from my parents' old house, a year's worth of Ann Voskamp's pages printed and bound to record everyday gifts, and a necklace I've worn everyday since it was given to me.

What are you all up to?

7 Creative People Had This To Say:

Jolene said...

I didn't know about peppermint oil for headaches, but I have had some success/relief from lavender oil.

Catie said...

AHHH! Love Portlandia!! I've watched "Put a Bird On It" about 3 million times. Can not get ENOUGH of that. Not sure if I should admit that or not... ;)

This is a great idea for a post.. may have to steal it. :)

Can't wait to see more about the quilt. Hope your mom is feeling better soon!

christygirl said...

Sara is reading Hunger Games too. You'll have to let me know what you think!

Kristen, pajama mama said...

loved hunger games. can't wait for a date night in march to go see it now :)

care said...

:) -- I can't wait for you to try the oils too! They won't stop a full-on migraine, but they should bring you some significant relief! My friend who has migraines was told by her doctor to avoid all caffeine and to have as little sugar and refined carbs as possible. You might want to try that too! Can't wait to hear more about all that you are doing and Belle's sewing machine!

Empty Nest Full Life said...

Good to hear what you have been up to. Your quilting amazes me. Great gifts, and what necklace did you receive. I received a favorite necklace too. Got my new tennis shoes and getting ready to start your beginning running plan. Have a blessed week. Jackie

rebecca @ older and wisor said...

When I click on your profile I can't see an email address.....so a comment it will have to be. Just wanted to say THANK YOU for coming by, even though I am a COMPLETE DORK and when I'm working (or goofing around, which I'm aloud to do before we get busy) I'm not thinking about anything else. Especially if anyone might stop by that I "know" from blogging that looks like a friend I had in California, but it clearly couldn't be her because she doesn't have a baby but HELLO? Should've tipped me off right there. Lame. Is what I am. But you knew that already.

All that to say I hope you found some great stuff at the Thrift Store. And you seemed totally cool. And I hope you didn't think I was rude for not recognizing you.