DIY Valentines

Tuesday, February 1, 2011


Today was a snow day.  Even though snow hardly affects our ability to do school, I usually try to let the kids experience the idea of a snow day.  I loved those days as a kid- waking up, peeking out the window shade to white and instantly knowing-NO SCHOOL!  I want my kids to remember that feeling too.  

So on my snow day, besides finishing three loads of laundry, I played at the sewing machine.  

The valentine envelope was very simple.  I cut two squares in scrap fabrics-I think mine were something like 9"x 9".  I also cut another 9x9 square of fusible webbing, which I ironed onto the back of the outer square.  Maybe it would have been better to fuse it to the back of the inside layer, so it wouldn't have looked as wrinkled...I don't know.  

Sew right sides together, trim, turn inside out, press, stitch again around the border.  Blah, blah, blah.  You know how.  I hand-stitched where the three side come together.  But not until after I added a stamp and stitched My Love on the front.  

And can you see the scallops on the card?  That was the-you guessed it- 'scallop' stitch on my Brother machine sewn onto white card-stock.  I love how it turned out.  Even if you didn't have time to make the envelopes-the cards are a simple, quick project. I think I'll use a few minutes of tomorrow's snow day to make a few more.

Hope you're staying warm, wherever you are!      

7 Creative People Had This To Say:

carol said...

Love it! I must dig out Janet's envelopes from 40 years ago...the genetic connection must be strong!

Kristen, pajama mama said...

and you must recognize the fabric from the same time period! i love that print!

LibbyLibbyLibbyLibbyLibby said...

Those are the cutest, sweetest envelopes I have ever seen! I am so impressed. Good work, I love it!

Janet said...

I loved doing that sort of thing! I used to send your Mom and Dad envelopes made from the fabrics of dresses I was making!

Braley Mama said...

wow! Do you have an etsy shop????? ♥

Sharon @ Red Poppy | Pink Peony said...

Those Valentines are so adorable, and your blog is awesome! (It was recommended to me by Grace Shin, because I just started one and am seriously a newbie!)

elisabeth (bovagoods) said...

hi! i just found you from your comment on nesting place. your blog is so great...and this little envelope is too sweet! i can't wait to scroll through the rest of your projects.