For the Joy of My Low-fat Mid-morning Snack

Sunday, February 21, 2010



Joy of Cooking is seriously such a great kitchen reference.  I got my copy as a wedding gift, and use it all the time--need menu ideas for a brunch?  (page 21), or a substitute for cilantro?  (spicy basil, page 1060) or wonder how easy it is to make biscotti (which, by the way, they declare low-fat)?  (page 834).  

I love it when a recipe I searched for is naturally low-fat AND I have all the ingredients on hand. Biscotti is a perfect tide-me-over til lunch--it's not a cookie, it's biscotti-- not to mention a strong reason to pour that third cup of coffee.  Don't judge.  I can quit whenever I want.  

Do you have a favorite homemade mid morning snack?


Photobucket

6 Creative People Had This To Say:

Braley Mama said...

Those look delish!!! I don't have this cook book. Sounds like a great one. For my wedding I got The Better Homes And Garden one. That is pretty good too:)

Michele @ The Hills are Alive said...

Heres my all time favourite Biscotti recipe so easy and very very more-ish (make a double batch!)

Chocolate Biscotti
2 egg whites
1/3 cup caster sugar
3/4 cup plain flour
1 tabs cocoa powder
3/4 cup blanched almonds (toasted)
Preheat oven to moderate, lightly grease and line base and sides of a bar cake pan. Beat egg whites til soft peaks form, grad add c sugar beating until sugar dissolves each time. Fold in combine flr and cocoa then almonds, spread mix in prepared pan. Bake in mod oven approx 25m. Cool in pan. Wrap in foil and let stand overnite. The next day preheat oven to SLOW temp. Using a serrated knofe cut bread into 3mm slices. Place on a single layer on a non-greased oven tray (on top of baking paper). Bake in a slow oven about 20 min or until crisp and dry. Cool on wire racks.

Out of context here too but just thought of another excellent read. Have you read The Story of Edgar Sawtelle? One of the best books I have read in a LONG time. Then theres The Road too v well written but rather depressing.

Michele @ The Hills are Alive said...

PS I often dont leave the biscotti overnight just a few hours and it still works

Kristen, pajama mama said...

THanks, Michele!
And thanks for the book recs, too-I love getting book recommendations!

trudy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
trudy said...

I Love your writing Kristen. You should save all your entries,and then, someday, publish....wah lah, college for your kids!

Trudy VB