I make my kids play on the computer.

Thursday, February 4, 2010


Here is where they play:

Spelling City:  Use their grade level word lists or add your own.  Kids can play word games using their spelling list and be quizzed on them later.  Free site, love it!

Brain Pop: Not free, but it has loads of stuff on it.  Well-made movies on every subject.  Quizzes to follow are optional and at several levels.  I use Brain Pop, Jr. on a weekly basis with Belle (1st-2nd grade level).

TotLol:  This is the Youtube version for kiddos.  Love this because it's safe to let my 4 year old Mario obsessed little boy search without fear that he will click on some sicko's homemade video of Mario saying words he should not say.  Or shooting things he shouldn't be shooting.  Or you get the idea.  I'm confused on whether this site is entirely free or not.  I have not paid anything though.


Do you let your kids play on the computer?  Am I ruining mine?
Photobucket


9 Creative People Had This To Say:

Mrs. Bianca said...

I think the computer is a great resource. As with all things, it should be monitored and in moderation, but still. When you think about it, our children will grow up with all sorts of technology, it would be a shame to shelter them from it. We let Mari play twice a week for 15 minutes on the Fisher Price site. It's free. They teach counting (we count to 5) and the alphabet (she types a letter on the keypad and the letter appears and shows an animal). There was another site that taught the alphabet in sign language while showing and saying the letter. I thought that was neat.

Lastly, we love it when my folks visit b/c they have downloaded a alphabet flash card app on their iPhone which teaches her the alphabet in English, Spanish, and French. I've learned some new words, too!

Valencia Jones-Edwards said...

I love using the pc as a free learning resource! I use fisherprice.com for ABC's, colors and numbers, I also use various other sites for my older kids for science math, french etc....

Braley Mama said...

Thanks for sharing! I will try the totlol!

Kristen, pajama mama said...

wow-two recommendations for Fisher Price! must check it out-thanks, guys!

Jenilee said...

my girls learn so much on the computer! There are so many great educational games for them to play! can't say it's ruining them... technology will be an extrememly important part of their lives!

care said...

So far we've only let them play on the computer at the library (where they have tons of games/learning resources) and they've just done word processing at home. That way it's a real treat for them and gives them something to do while I spend hours searching for books. But I'll have to check out Spelling city -- great recommendation! Thanks!

The Mommy said...

My daughter has learned SO much from her computer games. We have a program called safe eyes installed and though I know nothing is 100% safe I do feel better about not sitting next to her all the time knowing it's installed.

Ana Degenaar said...

Kristen, those are great recommendations, I love all of those sites, I have a 2 year old and she loves Nick Jr~s site ^THANK YOU!

Gina said...

I love these, and so will my kids. Thanks for sharing-spelling has been a challenge for us lately. This is just what we need!