4 Sewing Gifts I Had to Buy Myself This Year

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Actually, it happened quite innocently.  This past Christmas my family decided to make it easier on everyone, and we each agreed to each buy ourselves a $60 gift.  We were to buy it, wrap it and put it away to open with each other at Christmas.  Really, it was cool to see what each other picked out for themselves when given the freedom.

Like my brother-- who bought himself an axe.  An axe.  I really didn't see that coming.

Well, on my 40 Before 40 list (formerly 30 Before 30) is: Make a Quilt.

I thought I should get on that, and I bought myself The Practical Guide to Modern Patchwork and a Moda Jelly Roll (Sugar Pop).  If you're not familiar with fabric, a jelly roll is a roll of fabric strips precut for you.  That was $64 since I went to a swanky boutique downtown.  That was Gift 1 & Gift 2, if you are keeping count.

I picked out one of the quilt patterns in the book and started working.  Thankfully, I already had a rotary and small self healing mat.  But half way into my quilt, I thought how much easier and fun this project would be with the right tools.

So this month, I bought myself 2 more presents.  I'm welcome.

A larger self healing cutting mat and a 10 inch acrylic template.   Gift 3 & Gift 4.  I heart them.  And now I am excited about finishing my quilt.


Here you can see the Sugar Pop collection and 18 squares of the quilt.


By the way, if you're wondering how I find time to quilt-- because that's what I always wonder when I visit prolific quilters' blogs -- I'll let you in on my secret: I set a mini goal. The quilt I am working on is full-size and made up of 48 squares.   I told myself, "Self, just make 1 square a day."  Even on really busy days, I can sneak upstairs after bedtime and get one done.  And most days, 2 is doable.  The progress is contagious.

Have you bought any tools that make your goals easier this year?

7 Creative People Had This To Say:

Amanda said...

wow--this is great! I plan on crocheting a lap blanket for my mom for Christmas and I haven't started yet. Bought the yarn though... :) Maybe I should set a goal of one "row" a day!

Sharon @ Red Poppy | Pink Peony said...

Looks beautiful! I love quilts, but I don't think I would ever attempt quilting myself, because it just seems so challenging and I'm not a sewer. Good luck!

Braley Mama said...

That is so beautiful mama!!! Great job!
I have been dreaming of starting rug hooking, maybe for my birthday!!!

Kelsy Crutchfield said...

I love seeing creative people do work like this! I'm not so crafty myself, but I certainly can appreciate it in others.

As for tools I've bought....I'm currently invested in a Dave Ramsey Financial Peace class. Not exactly what you're talking about, but I'm hoping that the tools he gives me will make a whole lot of things easier! :)

Catie said...

Love the fabric choices!! Someday I'm going to attempt a quilt! It seems like it would be difficult for someone like me - I'm very impatient and *sometimes* a perfectionist! :)

I do love me some pretty fabric though, so I'll have to give it a shot someday!

Lynette @ My Craft Discovery said...

That is such a great plan to just do one square a day! Once I graduate from college in 6 weeks...I will totally do something like this! I made my first quilt last year, and am itching to do another one soon!

care said...

Yes, I think you are crazy making a quilt with four little kids, but it's good to have lofty goals and time for something you enjoy, so all power to you! By the way, it's going to be GORGEOUS!