Duck Tape Wallets

Monday, March 14, 2011

We were invited to a birthday play-date for a homeschool buddy who turned 8 last weekend.  
His mother said no gifts, just come.  

I totally get that, and when we do friend birthday parties, I say the same thing.  But it still feels kind of lame to show up empty handed.  Since this was one of Belle's friends, I thought she could bring him something she had made.  

So we made him a duct tape wallet and then made a couple more.
  


We used Duck Tape Brand tape that we picked up from Target. 

There are loads of tutorials out there.  But we used Crafts by Amanda's, which was made by kids and had plenty of pictures.  

What do you do when the invitation says, "No gifts, please"?

I'm linking up to TCB's Get Your Craft On-thanks for hosting, Kim!

10 Creative People Had This To Say:

Unknown said...

I could suggest a few people that could use these for their trip.... the duct tape would "foil" identity snatchers. Its an RFID blocker!

Mrs. Bianca said...

We give a card, either homemade or a personalized photo card that we make, and include a donation to a charity that we have made-usually child related.

Damaris @Kitchen Corners said...

Enzo's birthday is next week and I really really really want to say NO GIFTS. I did that one year and then half brought gifts and the other half didn't and the half that didn't were offended. Then last year I didn't say anything and he got over 30 gifts, it was disturbing. This year I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I want to ask people for money to pay for his swim lessons. I would rather give him an experience then a plastic toy, but I hate asking for money.

Unknown said...

I usually show up empty handed--and feel lame when everyone else brings a gift!

Kristen, pajama mama said...

Da-I know-it gets tricky with other people's feelings. For one of Belle's parties I consider asking on the invitation that guests bring a stuffed animal for the local fire department (they give them to kids' of house fires) or a children's book for a local shelter. Those can be gently used and people feel good about asking.

But I think you can ask for swim lessons. On the invite, you could mention, "this year, Enzo has asked for swimming lessons for his birthday. In lieu of toy gifts-which he has plenty of-would you consider a lesson?" or something like that...any parent would understand and appreciate that. and it takes the pressure off finding a gift, right?

Kelsy Crutchfield said...

This year, we had a combined party for my 1 year old son and my 6 year old daughter. She's become passionate about Operation Christmas Child, so we put a note on the invitations asking people to pack a shoebox or give donations that could be packed in one. Most people gave shoebox gifts, but several also gave personal gifts. I really would have rather they not, since I was viewing it as a learning opportunity to show her how great it can feel to give to others.

rebecca @ older and wisor said...

Brilliant. And that damask duct tape? Killing me.

Jamie @ DIY Home Sweet Home said...

What a great idea. I'm your newest follower. Hope to see you at DIY Home Sweet Home.

Empty Nest Full Life said...

What a variety in duck tape! Never knew there was so much to choose from. Recently I have heard of little ones birthday parties, asking in lieu of a gift to bring something for the crisis pregnancy center, diapers,wipes,bibs, etc. I thought that was a wonderful idea. Jackie

christygirl said...

A couple of years ago we asked for small things (new or used) that Mr. A could send to his World Vision buddies in Brazil. I think everyone cooperated, and a few people brought an additional small item for him to keep, which was fine. Of course, we happen to have really cool & selfless friends who understand about these things. :)

I think the best, really the BEST, gift we can give each other is grace. It's okay to ask for gifts, or ask for no gifts. It's okay to bring one anyway, or not. It's okay if you're the only one who didn't bring a gift, or the only one that did. Etc, etc. You are a gracious friend, with gracious kids. That is the best gift. End of sermon. :)