{The Writing on the Wall}

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Two weeks ago I posted about the two ways in which we maintain and build our relationship with God: spending time in His Word and in Prayer. This is how we maintain and build any relationship- taking the time to listen and talk.

Psalm 1:2 even goes further and admonishes us to meditate on His Word day and night.

And this is not only for God's glory but also, provisionally, for our benefit. When His Word is always on our mind, we have peace the instant a situation arises. When His Word is always on our mind, temptation does not have as strong a lure. When His Word is always on our mind, we can find the fun in play-doh, again...okay, so I'm speaking from current experience.



So, lately, I have been looking for ways to take in small but powerful sips of God's promises throughout my day. CD's of sermons in the car, christian books tucked into my purse/diaper bag for a spare moment, and posted verses and quotes around my house.



Deuteronomy 6:4-9 (New Living Translation)

4 “Listen, O Israel! The Lord is our God, the Lord alone.[a] 5 And you must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your strength. 6 And you must commit yourselves wholeheartedly to these commands that I am giving you today. 7 Repeat them again and again to your children. Talk about them when you are at home and when you are on the road, when you are going to bed and when you are getting up. 8 Tie them to your hands and wear them on your forehead as reminders. 9 Write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.


How do you keep His Word always on your mind? I'd love to hear!

6 Creative People Had This To Say:

Gayle said...

I love your encouraging ideas! I need to put more verses up around the house. I listen to uplifting music all day... in the car, in my office, in my room when I get ready for work. My new plan is to download sermons onto my Ipod and listen while I walk. Have a blessed day!

The Peacock Pearl said...

for me it's with singing. i'm horrible at memorizing scripture and i've never really liked to read ANYTHING, so it's tough to read the word even though it's so good and beneficial. but with music i can remember anything! when i do read God's word i get excited when i realize i already know the song that goes with what i'm reading and i realize i DO have a lot of the word hidden in my heart... now i just need to get that silly book of numbers into a song ;)

T!ff@ny said...

Is that a quote on the shower door? I LOVE IT. That is where I do alot of my thinking and that is a wonderful idea!!

Kristen, pajama mama said...

yes, it is on the shower door! as I went around the house posting my signs, I found myself very amused that most ended up strategically in the bathroom- i guess that is where most of my quiet time is...if you can call it quiet!
love the worship ideas...i feel God nudging me to pursue new ways to worship...thanks ladies!
-kristen

pve design said...

I really try to make it the first and last thing of my day, to read from my bible and lately, I find myself with blank cards that I have jotted down a quote.
It does certainly give me much more gratitude for everything.
Thanks for your comment today and I wish you all the best with your artwork and your daily life.
pve

Angi said...

Love this! I like symbols, I have jewelry that reminds me of certain verses, and also a glance outside reminds me of how creation "plays" and never worries about any type of provision (I long to know the Lord like they so obviously do). Love ya!