Re-fashioning a Thrifted Skirt

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The term re-fashioning is relatively new to me, and this may not fit the definition. Maybe this is just regular ol' repurposing. Doesn't sound as hip, huh? But it's still green, right? Cuz that's hip. Just like using the word hip is hip.

This $2.99 thrift store skirt spoke to me in the store. Once home however, I remembered that I don't wear big red flowers on my bum, just as a principle. But I still liked the fabric, and didn't want to be out the $2.99. What to do...what to do...

hmmm...



How about a purse? Okay.

Grabbed my library loaned Making Vintage Bags and chose a pattern.



If I wasn't such a speed demon sewer, it would have gone a lot smoother. Or maybe if I had read the instructions. I don't know. But I do like how it turned out.



More repurposing of those faux flowers...



And of course, my new Canon needed a new strap...



Are you hip? Do you refashion mis-purchases?
Refashioning works for me!

9 Creative People Had This To Say:

Moody said...

such a great idea, i am glad you are able to do things with your hands. i would love to learn those things.
moods @zcouple.com

Lana said...

LOVE it!!! How cute!!!

Valencia Jones-Edwards said...

OHHHH I want to learn how to sew. I'd love to have that handbag...lol
Maybe I can take classes this summer.

Lauren said...

it is an amazing passage - I really can't quite wrap my mind around it! Thanks so much for stopping by - I just became a follower of your blog... I love it! This post was super creative ... I am off to cut up some of my skirts that don't fit anymore! :) Can't wait to read more from you!

Ann at eightacresofeden said...

My local eco store sells refashioned kids clothing in flamboyant 70s fabrics and charges a fortune for them.It is getting harder to find cotton clothing in the thrift stores as they rag them and sell them to mechanical businesses for cleaning grease... what a shame! I do not sew clothes as I can find complete quality garments at garage sales for a fraction of the cost of fabric and patterns. I do though occasionally refashion children's clothing purchased at garage sales. I once combined a dress and a cute denim skirt which I considered to be too short even for a little girl to create a unique skirt with an attached underslip.I also like to embellish garments with little swatches of colour and pattern, so I am always looking out for denim garments which are perfect for jazzing up ... that camera strap would look great as a belt on a denim skirt!

Nikki said...

Oh, I am so not hip. I'm only a wannabe! But, I do declare...you are one hip gal! Love everything you did!

Carey-Life in the Carpool Lane said...

Wow! Both of those turned out great...I'm jealous...I want some talent!

Amanda said...

great job, chicka! and so creative!

Alison said...

Um, wow! I had no idea that skirt had so much potential! You are amazing!