Summer School Art Kid's Edition:: Jesus Window Poster

Friday, June 19, 2009



In Adventures In My Father's World, our main curriculum for Belle, we are studying the names of God. This week we are celebrating the name that means The Lord Saves: JESUS!

Such a simple, but fun way to spend these days when it's too hot to play outside for very long.

I had Belle draw and cut out the letters, and peel the crayon wrappers...she has a real talent for peeling crayons and garlic. Bless her.



I used my vegetable peeler to shave the crayons, which was so beautiful that it felt theraputic despite that fact that I could hear the boys getting into bathroom trouble. I just loved the colors and the shapes the shavings were making...maybe I need to get out more...see some sunsets or something...

We then ironed the letters and shavings between two pieces of wax paper on a low heat.

What we learned:: Wax paper + low heat = cool stuff.

Remember making stenciled shirts with it? ahh, good times...still waiting for that phone call, by the way...Tuesday was the 6 month mark since we've been officially waiting...sigh...





See more Frugal Fridays at Life as Mom
See more Kid Friendly Fridays at I Blame My Mother

6 Creative People Had This To Say:

Tiffany said...

Very cool idea! Crayons rock.

Kristen said...

I always have to check out blogs owned by people with the same name as me...
Great idea and beautiful poster. I bet it looks great with the sun shining through.

Empty Nest Full Life said...

Great idea. Your kids will remember this for a long time to come. Have a great weekend! Jackie

Valencia Jones-Edwards said...

That is the aesomeness that is awesome!!! Did that make any sense???....lol

Diann said...

Kristen, Without reading the post first, I looked at the pictures and thought to myself, "Now, how on earth did she melt shaved carrots? Only Kristen could figure out how to do that! " LOL After I read and realized they were crayons, I thought cool idea!

The Wagner Family said...

That is fantastic! The only thing I could think to do with crayon shavings is put them in an old muffin pan and bake them to make new crayons. This is so much better. Thanks.